The easy answer often missed is ask more rather than hope.
Be proactive. Target your delighted customers and those in your network, give them a reason to refer you and ask.
Some tips to make referrals work for you:
- Communicate your ideal referral
- Gather proof you can do it & share this
- Case studies or success stories
- Have a compelling offer for the prospect AND the referrer. eg an Accountant referring to a bookkeeper will find the work easier due to the record keeping and therefore more profitable
- Tell everyone you are ‘open for business’
- Increase your profile
- Get others talking about you & your reputation
- Speak at events – invitation or offer
- Offer to be an expert hotline for advice
- Be supportive of others – referrals, support, advice
- Newsletters – share your market knowledge & expertise
- Be seen – not just events, forum/LinkedIn group contribution
- Keep yourself front of mind with your potential referrers