It is important to ensure that a team performance bonus system is inclusive, fair, realistic and measurable in terms of award and cost.
Not everyone is motivated by money, but the majority enjoy the associated benefits of recognition.
Here is a guide to help you consider the fundamental considerations of such a bonus scheme, from the basics of team bonuses to the specifics of calculating and distributing them, ensuring that your readers can develop an effective and fair system for their teams.
I encourage businesses to adapt such a bonus system to meet the specific needs of your team and your business.
The Basics of Team Performance Bonuses
- Define the framework of your team performance bonus. What triggers an award, how will the binus pot be distributed and on what basis
- Decide on any difference between individual and team performance rewards (eg do sales teams have their own bonus and sit outside the company bonus system.
- Consider the pro’s and con’s of implementing a team-focused bonus system.
Set Your Clear Objectives
- Ensure you are aligning bonuses with business objectives.
- Set SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-bound) goals for team performance.
- Decide how transparant you want to be with the finer detail.
Choose the Right Metrics for Evaluation
- Be clear on the measureable based on key performance indicators (KPIs) relevant to the team performance and impact on the desired outcome.
- Be clear to ensure fairness and objectivity in the chosen metrics.
- Common metrics are revenue, profit, or related activities
Calculate the Bonus Pot
- Explain how the overall bonus pool will be determined and what will trigger an award.
- Have a step-by-step guide to guide the calculation of the bonus pot available to distribute. Include the basis (eg percentage of net profit remaining)
Distribute the Bonus Pot Among Team Members
- Review the different methods of bonus distribution and decide best fit (equal split, performance-based, Full Time equivilant etc.).
- Consider any secondary weighting of how the pot is to be distributed.
- Decide on the timing of the distribution (eg next pay day following period end?)
Implement the System
- Check in with HR about the communication (eg “discretionary” bonus)
- Communicate the bonus system to the team (eg memo, team meeting….)
- Ensure you have the data and guidelines for tracking performance and provide regular updates.
- Give yourself the flexibility to review and adjust the system over time.